How Long After Eating Grapes Will a Dog Get Sick?

Grape toxicity symptoms in dogs include lethargy, loss of appetite, bad breath, vomiting and abdominal pain – symptoms which may appear within just hours. Up until recently it wasn’t understood why grapes were toxic – until recently it was thought they may contain tartaric acid which causes this.

Leicester suggests keeping grapes and raisins out of reach of your pup and not leaving plates of them on tables or worktops where your dog might reach for them. If any signs of toxicity arise, prompt treatment must be administered to protect his kidneys from further damage.


Grapes can be dangerous to dogs, and particularly dangerous when in their dried forms such as raisins, currants and sultanas. Grapes contain tartaric acid which causes gastrointestinal irritation manifested as vomiting and diarrhea in dogs; often this results in painful bouts of vomiting due to their body trying to rid itself of toxic substances; particularly painful for very young and older puppies who cannot hold in vomit for as long. Dogs will become lethargic due to these toxins being in their system; this indicates kidney dysfunction that could eventually result in serious health conditions such as hypokalemia in severe cases.

If your dog exhibits any of the above symptoms, he or she should be taken immediately to a veterinarian for treatment. Decontamination usually involves inducing vomiting to flush toxins out of his or her system and prevent them from being absorbed into bloodstream and further damage being done to him/her.

After decontamination is complete, your vet will likely administer fluid therapy to flush toxins out of the animal’s system and restore proper electrolyte balance. They may also conduct regular blood work tests to monitor kidney function levels and assess whether hospitalization may be required for longer.

No matter how many grapes your dog may have eaten, if any signs of toxicity arise then animal poison control should be contacted immediately. If they were present in food or treats that contain grapes then make sure it’s discarded to prevent further issues from arising.


Uncontrollable diarrhea may be one of the first indicators of grape poisoning. This condition often manifests itself with abdominal pain and weight loss. Increased drooling can also indicate grape toxicity in dogs; its source may be an overproduction of saliva produced by their bodies to flush away harmful toxins from their system.

If your pet displays any of these symptoms, it’s essential that they visit an emergency vet immediately. They will be able to monitor its condition, such as how many grapes were eaten at what time and whether any damage has already been done to its kidneys; and may suggest treatment based on toxic dosage levels.

First and foremost, treatment should aim at blocking absorption of toxins into the stomach and intestines by inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal; your vet may also suggest gastric lavage as part of this step. Next step should include aggressive intravenous fluid therapy designed to promote diuresis and minimize kidney damage as well as drugs prescribed to control nausea/vomiting/renal function support by your veterinarian.

Even though grape/raisin toxicity symptoms are nonspecific, veterinarians typically find it easy to diagnose this type of poisoning. Your vet can make their assessment by reviewing your pet’s history of eating grapes, raisins or currants and their presence in their vomit; in addition they will perform tests such as complete blood count analysis, serum biochemistry profile and urinalysis in order to ascertain kidney damage and damage severity. Brutlag recommends against home vomiting attempts especially with short-nosed breeds like pugs French Bulldogs and mastiffs who could aspirate it and aspirate it resulting in aspiration pneumonia resulting in death.

Foaming at the Mouth

Grapes may be a delicious treat for humans, but they’re highly toxic for dogs. Grapes and raisins contain tartaric acid which can lead to kidney toxicity in dogs consuming grapes or raisins, leading to build-ups of toxins and even possibly fatality in some cases. If your dog has consumed grapes, seek medical help immediately for treatment as soon as you’ve noticed.

Grape poisoning symptoms typically include vomiting and diarrhea. If left untreated, grape toxicity can quickly progress into dehydration and kidney failure within 24-72 hours after ingestion. While its exact source remains unknown, mycotoxin or salicylate contamination may be at fault.

Keep an eye out for any signs of increased urination and thirst from your dog, such as increased urination which could indicate dehydration and excessive thirst which could indicate kidney problems are starting to form. If there’s water present in their urine, immediate veterinarian attention must be sought immediately.

If your pet has consumed some grapes, an easy way to induce vomiting is by administering one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide using either a syringe or turkey baster – ideally within six hours after ingestion of grapes.

Once your dog arrives in hospital, they will undergo fluid therapy to flush any toxins out of its system and take medications to address any gastrointestinal symptoms and prevent further kidney damage. Your veterinarian will monitor blood work and recheck baseline kidney values; although prognosis for kidney failure in dogs may be poor, many recover with prompt medical intervention.

Loss of Appetite

Grape poisoning may not always be fatal, but it’s nonetheless a serious and potentially life-threatening health concern for your pet. If your pup refuses food and appears excessively thirsty, take him immediately to an emergency veterinarian as excessive thirstiness could indicate dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea related to grape toxicity; excessive thirstiness could also indicate that their kidneys aren’t filtering nitrogen-containing compounds like urea or creatinine properly resulting in sweet or musty-smelling breath.

Your veterinarian will begin treating grape poisoning by performing what’s called decontamination – inducing vomiting and giving activated charcoal tablets in order to block absorption of toxic compounds into their system.

Leicester notes that once this step has been completed, fluid therapy will likely be suggested to prevent dehydration and help control nausea and vomiting as well as promote blood flow to kidneys in order to minimize damage or prevent future issues from arising.

Increased drooling is one of the telltale signs of grape toxicity in dogs, and should be taken seriously. Even one grape per 10 pounds could prove deadly to some dogs; always err on the side of caution! With prompt veterinary care, your pup should recover quickly from grape poisoning without suffering long-term kidney damage; researchers believe this may be because grapes or raisins contain toxic components like tartaric acid or mycotoxin (a mycotoxin produced by fungi) and cause impaired kidney function resulting in decreased kidney function and reduced kidney function overall.


Note that grapes or raisins, even those in baked products like cakes and muffins, can be toxic to dogs. If there’s any doubt as to your pup’s reaction, it is wise to bring them immediately to a vet as even small amounts could potentially prove fatal. Breed is also important; bulldogs, pugs, French bulldogs may struggle more when vomiting and aspirate it back up into their lungs, making their situation even worse.

Early symptoms of grape toxicity in animals may include nausea, lack of appetite and diarrhea; however, more serious effects don’t usually surface until bloodwork has been taken; an increase in creatinine and urea nitrogen concentrations indicate kidneys are starting to fail and polydipsia (increased thirst) as well as tremors are also observed among affected pets.

As kidney failure progresses, a dog will become dehydrated more rapidly and their urine production will become intermittent or nonexistent. This causes nitrogen-containing wastes to build up within their bodies and results in ammonia breath known as “uremic breath”.

To reduce damage, a vet may begin by administering a “decontamination” treatment involving inducing vomiting and using activated charcoal to bind any remaining toxins in your pup’s stomach. They may also utilize fluid therapy and medications to support kidney function if necessary; hospitalization may also be recommended; its length depends on severity of symptoms and blood test results. Leicester suggests the best way to avoid grape toxicity for all pets is keeping fresh and dried fruits away from their reach and making sure everyone in your household understands not feeding them human food products!

Leave a Comment